2019 Chevy Blazer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 3LT 3.6L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about completely disabling OnStar in my Blazer by unplugging the cables that are connected to the OnStar module. However, I haven't been able to find out where exactly the OnStar module is located in the Blazer (in the dash, or behind the glove box, or in the trunk). Does anybody have this information? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 3LT 3.6L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the mirror housing. Goodluck. You will void warranty doing so. Not a good idea M8...
It's supposed to be a sizeable box like the one in the picture. And I read that the cables can be easily disconnected and re-connected at any time. I wonder if this information is true for Blazer, too.

·
Registered
2019 3LT 3.6L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why would you want to disable it? If you don't pay for the service it is inactive.
A couple of OnStar serivces are free for five years (if I remember it correctly), so it's still active. Besides, even when ALL services are turned off, as long as the OnStar module is connected, the vehicle GPS is still constantly tracked, the diagnostics system is still running, and the information on how you use your vehicle is collected by GM. I was born and raised in a totalitarian country, and I guess I'm more sensitive about these Big Brother kind of things than other people here. I still use my cell phone and Google Maps but I try to avoid the invasion of my privacy when possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A couple of OnStar serivces are free for five years (if I remember it correctly), so it's still active. Besides, even when ALL services are turned off, as long as the OnStar module is connected, the vehicle GPS is still constantly tracked, the diagnostics system is still running, and the information on how you use your vehicle is collected by GM. I was born and raised in a totalitarian country, and I guess I'm more sensitive about these Big Brother kind of things than other people here. I still use my cell phone and Google Maps but I try to avoid the invasion of my privacy when possible.
Gotcha. I like having the diagnostics feature and the GPS to locate the vehicle if stolen or if I'm ever in an accident where I go over a ravine, I can be found.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts