2019 Chevy Blazer Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok...so I have a question on this. My wife just got a 2020 Blazer that has this functionality. But I'm wondering if it's working correctly. If I'm on the level and just cruising with s slight push on the accelerator, it goes into V4 mode. But if I take my foot off the gas and coast, like going downhill, it switches back to V6. Is this right? It would seem to me that if you're not putting any demand on the engine (while coasting) you should be in V4 mode.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Releasing the accelerator and coasting will cause the engine to go into v6 mode. That’s normal. My understanding is the engine does not use fuel when coasting so it doesn’t really matter if it’s in v4 or v6 mode. Changing to v6 mode means the engine is ready to accelerate with full power if you need it after coasting.

I don’t see v4 mode as often as I thought I would. It only comes on during very lightly applied throttle maintaining speed on level ground. Any additional pressure on the accelerator to maintain speed on the slightest hill will cause it to switch to v6.

My father has a Honda minivan that I drive with him from Florida to NJ 2x a year. It has a similar deactivation system. It will hold the 4 cyl mode much longer than my Blazer and I was expecting (hoping) for something similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. I actually was at the dealer today and talked to them about it. They said the same thing...you have to be applying light pressure on the gas pedal to keep it in V4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To clear a few things up, vehicle will always idle on 6 cylinders. Will go to 4 cylinders while driving under ideal conditions. This technology is called Active Fuel Management, not "Ecotech" which is the current all encompassing name for many GM engines.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts