2019 Chevy Blazer Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This idea was touched on in the "Does the Blazer remind you of other vehicles?" thread by @trailblazer, @BlueOx, @JimC, and myself, but I wanted to elaborate on it a bit more.

Former GM vice chairman Bob Lutz was interviewed and explained how he would put together a mid-engine Corvette SUV if he were was still working at GM.

"[If I were still at GM], what I would do is develop a dedicated architecture, super lightweight, super powerful, Porsche Cayenne–like, only much better and a little bigger, medium-volume Corvette SUV. Target worldwide 20,000 to 30,000 units, and price it starting at $100,000. Gorgeous interior. No V-6 powertrain. No low-end version. It has to be the stellar premium sport-utility made in the United States, and the Corvette brand could pull that off."
Car and Driver weighed in on the idea and they think that Chevrolet should expland the Corvette beyond the iconic sports car, even though it's not that realistic.

While we do like Lutz's idea of an expensive Corvette SUV with no low-end version, we think it's a bit unrealistic. To better compete with the Cayenne, an entry-level Corvette SUV should have a starting price point of around $70,000 and a twin-turbo V-6. But it would need at least a couple different V-8 engine options, and there would have to be high-performance variants. Chevy could easily position a Corvette SUV as the sportiest and most road-oriented of all the high-end SUVs, which would set it apart from the competition.

It would probably need to ride on its own unique platform, as GM doesn't really have anything that would be a perfect match. The Alpha platform that underpins the Camaroor the Omega platform that underpins the Cadillac CT6 could be possibilities, but neither are really fit for something that would be as sporty and crossover-like as a Corvette SUV would be. Unless Chevy would just say "screw it," not offer all-wheel drive or any semblance of off-road ability, and build the SUV off the current front-engined C7 Corvette's platform.

The styling should be aggressive and tie into the regular Corvette, which would likely mean a coupe-like roofline and a low stance. The interior would need to be luxurious, as buyers in this space expect more from their cars than the middling materials and finishes of the current Corvette. Seating for four adults and at least a modicum of cargo space are a must—Corvette owners need to be able to carry golf clubs around, after all—but it probably wouldn't have a targa top like the regular Corvette.

The only thing left for us to imagine is the name. Would it be Corvette Activ? Corvette Xtreme? Corvette TourX? Corvette Bison? Corvette Trail Boss? Corvette High Country? Corvette Z71? Corvette Trans Sport? GM has so many good off-road-y names to choose from.
If you were to put together a Corvette SUV how would you do it? I agree that it would have to be a premium vehicle and have limited numbers. It definitely needs a V8 but I'm not as confident in Chevy's V6's to put it in a Corvette branded vehicle.

It would be fascinating to see GM put something together to take on the Porsche Cayenne or the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts