2019 Chevy Blazer Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as someone who has had the T-harness laying around for some time I finally got around to installing everything. Coming from a BMW as my previous car with the battery in the trunk, lemme tell you this wasn't as easy of a job as I thought. Took me about 6 hours, could probably do it within 3 after doing the first one.

That said, I felt that the documentation/guides on this kind of install either seems to focus on Bose equipped cars and it just focuses on the T-harness location. I hadn't seen any info on firewall access, radio brain location, how to run the wires, etc. Anyways, I'm here with the experience, if anyone has any questions hit me up, I'll reply and try to show pics and info I used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
me and my brother in law are trying to install a t harness and system in his blazer. He has the bone stock stereo ( still has the airplay and all that) but no amp by the foot panels. So we assume that we need to just get the the back of the system or where the brains are and we can’t figure out where that even is or how to access it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
me and my brother in law are trying to install a t harness and system in his blazer. He has the bone stock stereo ( still has the airplay and all that) but no amp by the foot panels. So we assume that we need to just get the the back of the system or where the brains are and we can’t figure out where that even is or how to access it?
So for me, I have the stock stereo with airplay. All the videos I could find of the T harness show bose systems with the amp in the middle console down by the floor. For me my stereo's "brain" was on the passenger side floor board (see image where I marked where it's at)
Speedometer Car Vehicle Gear shift White

Another note, I used this website for guidance. The sub fee is kinda high but i just purchased a one day sub on the day I was doing the install. It has factory/dealer level bulletins and shows exactly how to take apart everything in the car. It was invaluable for taking apart the trim pieces and running wires to the back. It's actually how I found where the radio's brain was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well as someone who has had the T-harness laying around for some time I finally got around to installing everything. Coming from a BMW as my previous car with the battery in the trunk, lemme tell you this wasn't as easy of a job as I thought. Took me about 6 hours, could probably do it within 3 after doing the first one.

That said, I felt that the documentation/guides on this kind of install either seems to focus on Bose equipped cars and it just focuses on the T-harness location. I hadn't seen any info on firewall access, radio brain location, how to run the wires, etc. Anyways, I'm here with the experience, if anyone has any questions hit me up, I'll reply and try to show pics and info I used.
How did you penetrate the firewall?
Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you penetrate the firewall?
Jeff
So you have two options, there are two grommets, one on the driver side and one on the passenger side. The one on the driver side has some stuff in front of it so for me I opt'd to go in the passenger side one. See attached pictures to show how i routed it and the grommet itself.

For the grommet you just take off the black tape, leave the grommet on, the tape will just reveal the hole. The hole is filled with rubber sealant, you want to leave that there cause it seals the hole, that's important. What I did was took a metal coat hanger, cut it so i could straighten it out. Then you use that to poke it thru the rubber. On the inside of the car behind the carpet and trim you can clearly see the hole. So I had a friend push the coat hanger thru, then I led it past the pulled back trim. Finally i took the power wire and taped it to the end of the coat hanger in the engine bay, make sure the tape is tight and secure. Then you just get in the car and pull the other end of the coat hanger. Since the coat hanger is smaller diameter than the wire, the rubber sealant will be water tight to the wire.

1. Wire off of battery, into protective wire cover.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

2. Ran it across the underside of this trip connection point.
Hood Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Trunk

3. And finally drop the wire down and into the grommet. Be sure to retape with some electrical tape after.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts