To help other owner with a vital part of maintenance, I outlined whats required come time to change our Chevy Blazer's engine oil. It covers viscosity grades (for 2.5L and 3.6L engines), oil type (ex. ACDelco & Mobil1), oil filter part numbers, how often to check the oil level, oil change intervals, how to reset the oil light and a maintenance schedule. A lot of it comes from the owners manual. I'm hoping we can build some good dialogue from it.
Engine Oil Type & Brands:
- Blazer w/2.5L L4 engine: SAE 0W-20
- Blazer w/3.6L V6 engine: SAE 5W-30
- Cold Temperature Operation −29 °C/−20 °F: SAE 0W-30 (for easier cold starting)
Full synthetic engine oil meeting the dexos1 specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 full synthetic is recommended (look for dexos1 approved logo).
ACDelco dexos1TM Full Synthetic Oil
- High resistance to oxidation, which helps keep the oil from breaking down
- Excellent low-temperature flow and pumpability during cold start-ups
- Excellent protection to help prevent formation of sludge and other harmful deposits
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil
Engine Oil Filter Type:
2.5L L4 Engine
- Advanced anti-wear technology for outstanding protection of critical engine parts
- Exceptional high-temperature stability helps resist oxidative thickening
- Proven to provide outstanding cold starting, lubrication and protection from wear at low temperatures
3.6L V6 Engine
- GM Part Number: 12640445
- ACDelco Part Number: PF64
When To Check Oil Level
- GM Part Number: 19330000
- ACDelco Part Number: PF63E
Every 400 miles (650 km)
When To Change Engine Oil
Within 600 miles of the computer system indicates you should ("CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON" message appears). Or see maintenance schedule below.
Resetting the Oil Life System
Reset the system whenever the engine oil is changed so that the system can calculate the next engine oil change. To reset the system:
- Display the REMAINING OIL LIFE on the DIC.
- Press and hold the thumbwheel on the DIC while the Oil Life display is active.
- Confirm yes, and the oil life will change to 100%
The oil life system can also be reset as follows:
- Place the ignition in Service Mode
- Display REMAINING OIL LIFE on the DIC menu.
- Fully press and release the accelerator pedal three times within five seconds.
- If the display changes to 100%, the system is reset.
If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes back on when the vehicle is started, the engine oil life system has not been reset. Repeat the procedure.
2019+ Chevrolet Blazer Maintenance Schedule