2019 Chevy Blazer Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but only found a 1 year old thread. I just bought a 2021 Blazer 2LT with the 3.6 engine. I really want to disable the AFM on it. I guess I'm not trying to start a discussion on the pros and cons of doing this. I know a company called "Range" makes a device that plugs into the OBD-II port and prevents the AFM from functioning. I couldn't find one on their website for my vehicle. So I sent them a message asking about it and they replied that they don't have one for my car. I replied asking them to hurry up and produce one. In the mean time, anyone around here use a device to disable AFM? I think I found somewhere where someone claimed they are using the Range device and it works on our Blazers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think the OP is referring to V4 vs V6 operation and not the auto stop start feature.
Exactly gunnybusa. I think SleeperSS might have gotten confused and thought I was talking about the Auto stop/start feature? I certainly know I can push the button to disable that. AFM is quite different than that. Here's the manual description for AFM:
Publication Book Font Paper Paper product

·
Registered
15 Posts
Exactly gunnybusa. I think SleeperSS might have gotten confused and thought I was talking about the Auto stop/start feature? I certainly know I can push the button to disable that. AFM is quite different than that. Here's the manual description for AFM: View attachment 1635
I've had it on many Chevy's going back to 07. Why do you want to turn it off? I think the "sport" disables it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My good friend had it on his Silverado. His engine developed a serious knock at about 90k miles and the dealer said he needed a new engine. Another good friend of mine is about the most intelligent mechanic/builder/tuner for GM you could ever find. He took the truck into his shop and said the issue is something failed in the DOD. DOD is displacement on demand. The same thing basically as AFM. He knew exactly what failed but I just know it failed. He said Chevy won't admit there is a problem with the system and they won't rebuild the engine to eliminate it. He did a DOD delete on it. It required quite a bit of engine work. New camshaft, lifters, and a bunch of other parts. As well as computer programming. The truck has been running great for a few years now. The owner still has it and lives 3 doors away from me. He's very glad that my guy managed to save his engine and eliminate DOD. He says the truck drives better and gets at least the same MPG as before the delete. My guy says any DOD or AFM system "sucks." He hates them and says they are problems. I just got this car and don't want it to have problems in several years from the crappy AFM system. I'm not terribly concerned with getting 1 mpg better mileage. There are AFM supporters that blame any failures of the system on bad maintenance. That may be true. But my neighbor had bought his Silverado new and claims he followed the severe service schedule for oil changes. And he doesn't operate the truck severely, almost never tows anything. Sometimes he tows a 2 place snowmobile trailer, that's it. I have not been able to find anyone that says disabling AFM causes problems. I really trust my engine guy that says it "sucks." I have this 2010 Equinox with the 2.4 engine that is committing suicide. From what I have read that 2.4 is terrible (it doesn't have AFM but the engine problems are so bad Chevy settled a class action lawsuit and rebuilt tons of engines, unfortunately mine is past the time limits for that repair). I'm selling this Equinox for a serious loss. So, I'm not real trusting of Chevrolet in all matters. I'm still a Chevy guy and bought this Blazer. But I want to disable the AFM before it screws up my engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I got that GTMotor disabler that I put the Amazon link to above. I've had it in for a couple of weeks. Seems to work great. No switching to V4 mode. It also disables the auto start/stop feature. There is no setting for either of these features. You plug the device in to the OBD-II port (when the key is off) and that's it. Car won't disable cylinders. Car won't shut off when stopped. I'm happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts