2019 Chevy Blazer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news considering that months ago a lot of people were saying it won't happen. Maybe this is a sign of more things to come?

Last year, GM Authority found it odd that Chevrolet decided not to offer LED headlights on the all-new 2019 Blazer. After posting a poll on the matter, the consensus was clear: Chevrolet was, indeed, making a mistake by not offering LED headlamps on its latest crossover. Thankfully, it sounds like The General listened, because we now know that Chevy will offer LED lighting with the 2020 Blazer.
LED headlights will be included as part of an optional package on the range-topping Blazer RS and Blazer Premier trim levels. Notably, LEDs represent a considerable upgrade over the standard high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps, as not only do they provide better light, but they also use less energy and have a longer service life.

For the 2020 Blazer RS, LED headlamps are offered as part of the optional Enhanced Convenience and Driver Confidence II Package. Meanwhile, the 2020 Blazer Premier offers LED headlamps via the equally-optional Driver Confidence II Package.
Enhanced Convenience and Driver Confidence II Package content for Blazer RS:
  • Chevrolet Infotainment 3 Premium system with connected Navigation
  • 8-inch diagonal HD color touchscreen
  • Bose premium eight-speaker audio
  • Memory settings
  • Wireless phone charging
  • Rear outboard heated seats
  • Driver and front passenger ventilated seats
  • Power tilt and telescoping steering column
  • HD Surround Vision
  • Rear Camera Mirror
  • Advanced Adaptive Cruise Control – Advanced
  • Enhanced Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Front Pedestrian Braking
  • Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
  • Following Distance Indicator
  • Forward Collision Alert
  • Safety Alert Seat
  • LED headlamps
  • IntelliBeam headlamps
Driver Confidence II Package content for Blazer Premier:
  • Wireless Charging
  • HD Surround Vision
  • Rear Camera Mirror
  • Adaptive Cruise Control – Advanced
  • Enhanced Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Front Pedestrian Braking
  • Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
  • Following Distance Indicator
  • Forward Collision Alert
  • Safety Alert Seat
  • LED headlamps
  • IntelliBeam headlamps
Opting for these packages equips the 2020 Blazer with full-LED headlamps, thereby giving the midsize crossover full-LED lighting.
Meanwhile, the rest of the Blazer lineup, including the L and LT trims, as well as the RS and Premier trims without the aforementioned packages, will continue to offer standard bi-functional HID headlamps. It’s worth noting that the Blazer’s primary lights are located lower in the 2020 Blazer’s front fascia, beneath the upper “thin” lights that serve as the crossover’s Daytime Running Lamps.

We’re glad to see the 2020 Blazer offer LED lighting, even as an option. While HIDs are nice, LEDs are really the right choice for a modern vehicle. What’s more, we feel as though the color and warmth of LED lighting does well to complement the aggressive styling of the 2020 Blazer. And with LED lighting already offered in models such as the 2019 Silverado, it makes sense to bring the technology over to the Blazer as well.
We expect to get our hands on some photos of the 2020 Blazer with LED headlights in the coming months. In the meantime, subscribe to GM Authority for more Chevrolet Blazer news, Chevrolet news, and around-the-clock GM news coverage.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/2020-blazer-to-offer-led-headlamps/#ixzz5sAF7VzPc

·
Registered
95 Posts
I dunno. I have been in two cars with LED headlamps and personally find the the HID Lighting lights up the road better then the LEDs.

The other question is replacing them if they go bad. I have seen a few cars with LED headlamps that have multiple points of light with one or two of those points already not working. I was told the whole assembly needs to be replaced instead of just a bulb. Not sure how true that is.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It makes sense that they're adding LED headlights, first off they look better than HID's but more importantly they use less energy from the battery and are much brighter.

When you say a sign of things to come @trailblazer, what in particular do you have in mind?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the only question here should be, if we have hid and would like to swap out for the new assembly, will it be possible? What will it cost? Is it even practical from a cost perspective to do so?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think the only question here should be, if we have hid and would like to swap out for the new assembly, will it be possible? What will it cost? Is it even practical from a cost perspective to do so?
My question would be are the LEDs any better in lighting up the road than the HIDs? I think the HIDs do just fine and the only problem I have is when it is raining out and now especially in winter is road dirt gets kicked up on the plastic lens covers and blocks the light and makes them look dim.

I would much rather have LED turn signals in the front and LED brake lights. I want to change the bulbs out but I am afraid I would get the fast blink issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My question would be are the LEDs any better in lighting up the road than the HIDs? I think the HIDs do just fine and the only problem I have is when it is raining out and now especially in winter is road dirt gets kicked up on the plastic lens covers and blocks the light and makes them look dim.

I would much rather have LED turn signals in the front and LED brake lights. I want to change the bulbs out but I am afraid I would get the fast blink issue.
You can replace front turn bulbs with LED bulbs/no resistors in 2019-20 Blazers. They sell them complete on Amazon & are 3X brighter than stock slow blinkers. The Brake/rear turn combo is a separate issue. GM did us NO favors in not fitting LED brake lights into the otherwise full LED light ensemble. To change these, both rear wheels must come off. Then mud guards. Then removal of rear quarter body panels, which is designed to conceal the main mount that secures tail light assemblies. After all that, resistors need 2B added to prevent hyperflash. Then install LED Bulbs & put everything back. It's virtually as much work to simply replace a burnt out brake/turn bulb. Ughhhh!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can replace front turn bulbs with LED bulbs/no resistors in 2019-20 Blazers. They sell them complete on Amazon & are 3X brighter than stock slow blinkers. The Brake/rear turn combo is a separate issue. GM did us NO favors in not fitting LED brake lights into the otherwise full LED light ensemble. To change these, both rear wheels must come off. Then mud guards. Then removal of rear quarter body panels, which is designed to conceal the main mount that secures tail light assemblies. After all that, resistors need 2B added to prevent hyperflash. Then install LED Bulbs & put everything back. It's virtually as much work to simply replace a burnt out brake/turn bulb. Ughhhh!!!
I was looking at the LED bulbs at the link below for the front amber turn signals

And for the rears I thought maybe something like the link below may work

But it sounds like a major pain to the rear bulbs from what you are saying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts