2019 Chevy Blazer Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Blazer 4WD Premium Nightfall Grey
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you got stock Michelin Premier LTX tires on your 2019 or 2020 Blazer, watch carefully for early tire wear. This is a chronic problem with a GM bulletin (#19-NA-078) on it. If you experience this, get working with your dealer sooner vs later. My tires hit 4/32 & 3/32 tread after 18 months @ 25,148 miles. (These tires should get you ~50K). Unfortunately, I did not act on this fast enough and when I got new tires today @ 36,497 miles I learned I missed the 3 year/36K bumper-bumper GM warrenty by 478 miles so I had to pay out of pocket for new tires. I am going to go directly to Michelin and file a claim for defective tires and if that doesn't pan out I'm going to go next to GM and escalate the 478 miles clip. I feel I should get prorate rebate for about 50% cost for new tires given I got about 1/2 expected life.

The service guy told me they regularly see this issue with Michelin Premier LTX tires on Blazers and do a lot of warranty work related to this issue.

If anyone has successfully taken on either Michelin directly or GM on this, any advice welcome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As an update. I filed complaint via GM Executive office and they assigned me a case number. They called me, and after reviewing my situation, told me 'tires were a maintenance responsiblity of owner' and would do nothing for me. They also claimed they could not find the GM bulletin I referenced - which is total B.S. as the service tech at my dealer printed it out for me from the GM system. I'm not impressed with GM putting totally subpar tires on a $50K new vehicle then not taking any accountabity for this. They told me to 'go work it out with the dealer's service dept'. I'll reiterate, if you expereience this, get in to your dealer before your bumper-to-bumper warranty runs out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Comment, tire wear is directly related to how one drives. One may believe they drive normal when in fact they corner fast/hard which would wear the tire quicker. Also bare in mind the tires on the Blazers are not what one would see on a pickup for instance. The starting tread depth is rather short vs many other tires. Also remember the new Blazer is a crossover not a true SUV as in the past ie different types of tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Comment, tire wear is directly related to how one drives. One may believe they drive normal when in fact they corner fast/hard which would wear the tire quicker. Also bare in mind the tires on the Blazers are not what one would see on a pickup for instance. The starting tread depth is rather short vs many other tires. Also remember the new Blazer is a crossover not a true SUV as in the past ie different types of tires.
Michelin website states that tire has a 60K warranty if bouhgt new and various reviews say you should be able to get 40K-80K from them. My driving habits are typical adult over 50 with a lot of the miles on highway vs city. I'm not debating you on what you posted, I just feel only 25K miles getting down to 3/32 is ridiculous. My whole point in posting this originally was to warn others to watch for early tire wear with these tires and if they see it, get into their dealer before their 3 year bumper-to-bumper expires so they get help via their dealer if they run into this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you got stock Michelin Premier LTX tires on your 2019 or 2020 Blazer, watch carefully for early tire wear. This is a chronic problem with a GM bulletin (#19-NA-078) on it. If you experience this, get working with your dealer sooner vs later. My tires hit 4/32 & 3/32 tread after 18 months @ 25,148 miles. (These tires should get you ~50K). Unfortunately, I did not act on this fast enough and when I got new tires today @ 36,497 miles I learned I missed the 3 year/36K bumper-bumper GM warrenty by 478 miles so I had to pay out of pocket for new tires. I am going to go directly to Michelin and file a claim for defective tires and if that doesn't pan out I'm going to go next to GM and escalate the 478 miles clip. I feel I should get prorate rebate for about 50% cost for new tires given I got about 1/2 expected life.

The service guy told me they regularly see this issue with Michelin Premier LTX tires on Blazers and do a lot of warranty work related to this issue.

If anyone has successfully taken on either Michelin directly or GM on this, any advice welcome.
I am dealing with the same issue on my 2020 Blazer. It has 29,000 miles on it on the Michelin Premier LTX tires on it are shot. Was told last week that GM would cover 58% of the cost to replace the tires. Went to dealership today to replace the tires and was told GM will only cover 25% of the cost and the replacement tires have to be Michelin Premier LTX.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I got my 2020 RS Blazer end of August 2020 and it came with Continentals that wore out at 17,000 miles. I went to the dealership and they were of no help. I then purchased Pirelli Scorpions (which do not have a warranty) in July 2021 (I was laid up for 3 months due to covid and didn't drive that whole time) and they too wore out the same. In February 2022 I bought a 2nd set of Pirelli Scorpions because I was desperate for tires and I was having a hard time trying to find any. I had them shipped from Florida to PA. I don't expect to get more than 6 months out of them. I plan on switching to 18" wheels then because I can't afford to be buying expensive high performance 21" tires every 6 months, plus they are hard to find. GM does not have a computer program to recalibrate the Blazer when you switch wheel size, so I expect my speedometer and possibly the mileage to be somewhat off. I love my RS, it is fun to drive but I don't like having this issue with the tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am dealing with the same issue on my 2020 Blazer. It has 29,000 miles on it on the Michelin Premier LTX tires on it are shot. Was told last week that GM would cover 58% of the cost to replace the tires. Went to dealership today to replace the tires and was told GM will only cover 25% of the cost and the replacement tires have to be Michelin Premier LTX.
I went back to the Chevrolet dealership the next day in an attempt to get this mess straightened out. Evidently the first service advisor had been smoking crack on her lunch break or she just had no idea what she was talking about. The second service advisor I spoke with had all the correct info on the Michelin Premier LTX tires and Service Bulletin #19-NA-078. My Blazer has less than 30,000 miles on it, so I am responsible for 42% of the cost for 4 new tires. GM pays 100% of the cost for mounting and balancing. My cost for 4 new tires is $430. The replacement tires are Michelin Primacy Tour A/S. Sure hope they wear better than the Michelin Premier LTX tires. I am grateful that the second service advisor straightened this out, but I'm still not happy that I am shelling out $430 for new tires on a leased vehicle with under 30,000 miles on it that I will be returning in less than 10 months. I have never had to replace tires on a leased vehicle prior to this. It is one of the reasons I lease. GM needs to stop putting cheap defective tires on new vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Michelin website states that tire has a 60K warranty if bouhgt new and various reviews say you should be able to get 40K-80K from them. My driving habits are typical adult over 50 with a lot of the miles on highway vs city. I'm not debating you on what you posted, I just feel only 25K miles getting down to 3/32 is ridiculous. My whole point in posting this originally was to warn others to watch for early tire wear with these tires and if they see it, get into their dealer before their 3 year bumper-to-bumper expires so they get help via their dealer if they run into this issue.
This is obviously not an issue of individual driving styles. There are so many instances of premature or accelerated tire wear on these tires that it is certainly an issue with the tires themselves. GM Service Bulletin #19-NA-078 (June 2020) confirms this. All four Michelin Premier LTX tires on my 2020 Blazer have a tread depth of 2/32" at 28,500 miles. This is the first time I have ever had to replace tires on a leased vehicle. Has my driving style suddenly changed? I don't think so. It's definitely the tires. Hoping that the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S replacement tires are an improvement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts